|A workshop on 'No Tobacco' was conducted by Ms Mrinal Barooah for TIS staff on 29 August 2020|
Please find below the key learnings:
1. Tobacco is a health hazard and is a foremost preventable cause of death and disease in the world.
2. Tobacco can be found in the smoking form(like bidi, cigarette, hookah, dhumti, snuff, hookli) as well as in ENDS (Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems)
3. There is no term like herbal hookah as smoking in any form is injurious.
4. ENDS (Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems) was banned on 18th September 2019.
5. It includes E-cigarette, juul, E- hookah.
6. Schools should conduct random drive to check for ENDS devices in students’ bags. If found no action should be taken against the student but the police should be informed and the device should be handed over to them with information to State and District Tobacco Control Cell.
7. Students should be made aware about the mouth freshener and Pan Masala ads and the tobacco content used in these items.
8. All the forms of smoking are equally harmful. 1 out of 8 people who are dying are passive smokers.
9. Schools should be cautious and aware about any vendors of tobacco near school (within 100mtrs radius) and a complaint should be filed if they find any vendor nearby.
10. Signage displaying ‘Tobacco Free Area’ should be properly marked in the appropriate areas like staircase, lift, outside the school building.
11. Schools should conduct at least one tobacco control activity in every six months. They should conduct special awareness/sensitization programs.